Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Sense of Palpable National Pride

I woke up this morning to the news that New Zealand was the latest nation to vote in marriage equality.  However, I didn't expect to see what I saw in the article I was reading.  The people gathered in their parliament began singing.  Later, I found out that the song is called "Pokarekare Ana," and it is a traditional Maori love song (and the unofficial national anthem).  I was moved to tears listening to that expression of pure joy.  I was moved to tears to know that the GLBT community in New Zealand knew, in that moment, that its government had its back.  I was also moved to tears, because I know that I would never see something like that happen in our legislature.  So, I offer a hearty congratulations to the Kiwis.  You've made many, many people around the world very, very happy today.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Progress has happened elsewhere, and that is great news for the world.

My concern is focused on suitable amounts of woodwork being available for the throngs of our righteously ignorant after we enact marital equality.

I'm just sayin'...